Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Online Counseling Degrees

Online Counseling Degrees
An online counseling degree? My, how the times have changed. Not even two years ago, my reading of the literature about online educational programs was that there were questions about accreditation and value.

How could anyone learn anything online, particularly something which could be as complicated as counseling?

Well, accreditation of online courses and schools has happened, and the perceived value of an online counseling degree has increased.

Companies are doing lots of online training now, and seeing the value for their employees, and that has hastened the acceptance of online counseling degrees.

I already have my Master's degree, and I am not going to get a Ph.D. in my field, although I believe there are online counseling Ph.D. programs, so I will not be able to personally comment on the online process.

But one of the reasons I choose the school I attended was because it was close, and therefore convenient.

Online educational programs are even more convenient.

And they are convenient for your children to interrupt too, which happens when I am teaching my SBI class online. Even though I feed my kids before class, and let them know I will be busy, my five year old forgets, especially when she wants help with the Wii.

So online education can almost be too convenient.

However, as a graduate student, carrying a full load of classes, not having to worry about the expense of gas and an automobile, or breakdowns, or bad weather, would have been wonderful, plus I can review lectures and classes at my leisure, depending on the platform the school uses to do their broadcasting.

You can even get textbooks in electronic versions now, by the book or by the chapter. Text books are a big expense for students, and electronic versions are very helpful

The online counseling degree experience does diminish your face to face interaction with your peers, and with your professor, but I think the utility of the online process can make up for that.

True, I cannot hang out with my professor if his or her location is half way around the planet, but e-mail and online conferences can still help to build a very close and supportive professional relationship.

So my advice, give this online counseling degrees a try. You just may find yourself in a new career.

There are virtual schools to choose from, and I think every brick and mortar school is developing degree and certification programs in order to stay in business.

Can you imagine a day when State Legislatures no longer fund the bricks and mortar versions of colleges and universities?

No comments:

stats accounting